Saturday, October 4, 2008

Installing thermal probe


I cut a 4 foot section of ground rod in order tosupport the sensors. The assembly was then beat into the ground. The thermistors are placed every 12 inches starting at the bottom for the most depth. I used plenty of electrical tape and duct tape to ensure that the thermistors would not get damaged is the rod was pounded into the ground. I also added a section of wire loop on the top of the rod so that i can remove the assembly in case a thermistor did get damaged.



After installing the thermal prove in my yard i then buried the wire and ran it to my porch so that i can easily sample the probe. My initial sample was taken immediately after the installation and gave some questionable results.

Orange lead = 60.83f

Green lead= 63.38f

Blue lead=63.51f

Brown lead=63.66

I suspect that the assembly and the ground have not reached equilibrium at the time of sampling. At the time of this writing roughly 36 hours have past since the initial reading. The current readings are as follows.

Orange lead = 59.68f

Green lead = 62.14f

Blue lead = 62.86f

Brown lead = 63.34f

These results seem to track the initial sample. Nothing in the second sample suggests that a thermistor has been damaged by the installation of the assembly. Furthermore i have no reason at this point to doubt the sampling. 

I believe it would be very beneficial to add an out side temperature sensor in addition to the ground probe for a reference model.

No comments: